Wednesday 9 May 2012

Help! Writer's Block

I have, what I can only describe as writer's block, lately.  I am finding it so difficult to sit down and do what I normally love to do.  I know part of it is my change in routine, and part of it is allowing myself to put other things first.  However, if I felt better about my writing, I'm sure these things wouldn't matter so much.
This is how I feel - I've been doing so many other things, piling my desk with other obligations, that I haven't been writing.

So, I would like to ask others for help:  What do you do to make writing fun again when it is becoming a bit of a chore?  I know how important it is to schedule time and actually sit down and write, to hold myself accountable, but do you have anything you do to add fun?  It's so much easier to do things that are fun and I know writer's are creative people, so I would appreciate any tips and advice you have.

Thanks so much, everyone!

11 comments:

  1. I don't come with any creative tips; I wish I did. But the importance of writing even when I don't feel like it and especially when I don't feel inspired is key. Having words to work with, pages to revise, thoughts to explore gets my creativity moving because I know I can always make something better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I agree. I probably just need to write through it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I agree. I probably just need to write through it.

      Delete
  2. I usually try a short story that is completely opposite of what I'm supposed to be writing, typically trying to make it something humorous or quirky or anything that's a fun, but rather quick write. Seems to grease the gears and break the monotony for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No fun ideas I'm afraid, but a few things that work for me (sometimes):

    take a walk and let your mind wander; read a book (something good, so you're inspired, or something bad, so you're inspired to do better); do some "morning pages" (thanks Julia Cameron).

    Failing any of these, I cling to the comfort of creative ebb and flow and wait for the next new moon...

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas. I think I'll try a change of pace for a few days then get back to it. I so appreciate everyone's help.

      Delete
  4. I have serious 'music-time' Lol.
    Everything to do with reading & writing is put away and the tunes get turned up at any given opportunity. It takes the pressure off and relaxes me, especially before bed when my mind is going crazy.

    I hope you get your writing mojo back soon, good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I think I need to try this. Even if it doesn't work, it will be fun!

      Delete
  5. Even though writing is considered creative, it is also very left-brained. Your mind, and your soul, need an occasional break. I find that when "the block" hits my desk the only thing to do is start moving, physically--re-pot some plants or work with my hands. This is where a crafting hobby comes in real handy!

    Try taking up beading, scrapbooking, or some other small project. As your mind relaxes into the "right" area you will find your writer's mind open up again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. I appreciate all of your input.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.