Wednesday 23 November 2011

Book Review: A Full Moon is Rising

Book:  A Full Moon is Rising by Marilyn Singer & Julia Cairns, Lee & Low Books, Inc, 2011, 48 pages.  Children's picture & poetry book.

SourceNetGalley

Synopsis from NetGalley:
In the night sky, nothing is more magical than the full moon that rises every month. When it shines, all kinds of fascinating things occur. Tides rise to enormous heights. Children dare each other to climb a staircase to the moon. Families eat cakes with a moon inside. Campers watch out for werewolves. And sometimes, the whole moon disappears in the earth's shadow.

Come along on a whirlwind tour of the world to discover an amazing collection of full moon celebrations, beliefs, customs, and facts. We'll visit India, Israel, Morocco, China, Australia, and many more places to see what can happen . . . when a full moon is rising!



My Thoughts:
I read this book with my six year old daughter the other day and we both really enjoyed it.  Each page presents wonderful pictures and a poem from a different part of the world and how they look at the moon there.  I liked how there was a map at the beginning showing each place that was mentioned in the book.

First off, the pictures and the art are beautiful, simple and engaging.  I am sure that kids will love the bold colours and scenes from around the world.  Some things will be foreign and some familiar, which is a really nice mix.

We also loved the poems.  They were short and easy to read and also gave us a taste of the different cultures.  I think even younger kids would enjoy these, and you certainly don't have to read them all in one sitting - there is a kind of overall story about the moon, but each poem can also be enjoyed on its own.

When we were done, I asked my daughter what she if she like the book.  She said 'yes.'  Then I asked her what she liked, the story?  The art?  She said 'both, I like all of it.'  Short and to the point, that sums it all up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.