Saturday 19 May 2012

Book Review: Missed Her by Ivan E. Coyote

BookMissed Her, Stories by Ivan E. Coyote, Published August 31st 2010 by Arsenal Pulp Press, 144 pages.

Synopsis from Goodreads
Ivan E. Coyote is a master storyteller and performer; her beautiful, funny stories about growing up a lesbian butch in the Canadian north have attracted big audiences whether gay, straight, or otherwise. Missed Her is Ivan's fifth story collection, following 2008's Lambda-nominated The Slow Fix and Bow Grip, her novel that was named a Stonewall Honor Book by the American Library Association. Whether discussing the politics of being a butch with a pet lapdog or berating a gay newspaper for considering butches and trans people as "extreme," Ivan traverses issues of gender and identity with a wistful, perceptive eye.

My Thoughts:
I'd never heard of Ivan Coyote before I saw her name on the list for the Word on the Lake Festival I'm attending in Salmon Arm, BC next week.  I picked up her book, not knowing what to expect and found I tore right through it.  Each story is only a few pages long and I found myself reading "just one more," until the book was done.

Coyote is a storyteller and her stories are engaging, entertaining and sometimes challenging.  She is a lesbian butch and I haven't read anything like this since my university days.  Her stories are very personal, mostly from her own life or from her family's history.  I love this kind of attention to the details in life.

I will admit, I liked some of the stories more than others, but as a collection, they made me at various times laugh, feel angry, miss Vancouver (where I grew up), and think about things in a new light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.