Sunday 11 November 2012

Nano Train Wreck

Here we are, well into week two of Nanowrimo. As I posted a few days ago, I felt like I had hit the Nano wall. Now I feel more like I'm the engineer of a Nano train wreck.

This is how I see my Nanowrimo progression this year.

I started off out of the gate, speeding away. I hate even to take credit for my writing then, as it felt like my book was writing itself.
Week one felt so good!

Then came week two and my novel literally felt like a train wreck. My plot crashed, the whole thing had gone off the rails, I had no control, and I was definitely not divinely channeling my story anymore.
And now, this is how I feel:
Yes, that's me, the happy little Thomas train going around in circles. I am making my word count goals, so I am progressing - and I realize that's huge so I am giving myself credit for that - but I feel like I'm getting no where. My characters aren't actually DOING much.

This is strange because there is so much more for them to do! But I just can't seem to get there. As I said before, I'm writing the story of the ancient Greek mythological character of Clytemnestra. She still has to get married, have a baby, have Agamemnon come along and kill her husband and child, then she has to start plotting her revenge, then her son has to plot his revenge. Lots of juicy things to write about. But, what am I doing? Having her sit around worrying about marrying a man she doesn't know, being sad about having to leave her family, eat, talking with her family, getting reassured by her family, thinking deeply about marriage and how her life will change, eat some more... You get the picture, going in circles.

So, today my goal is to get back on track and actually move the story along. I don't need to go great guns, but I need to go forward, at least putt along at a respectable speed.
Everyone else out there in Nanoland... How are you doing? I would love to hear your week 2 stories. If you blog, feel free to leave a link in the comments if you have a post on this. I'm needing some (procrastination) inspiration.

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures :)
    I'm feeling a bit like that too. All my characters are dithering about and nothing seems to be happening anymore. Today I tried skipping ahead to the more action packed bits and that seems to be working for the time being. Would that work with Clytemnestra?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm getting there, just plowing through. I have a friend who skips around a lot and that works for her. So far, I'm pretty linear. So long as I keep my fingers on the key board, I'll get there.

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.