Sunday 8 May 2011

Book Review: Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen

Book:  Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen, HarperCollins, 2006.  335 pages.
Source:  Purchased.

Water For Elephants is the story of Jacob Jankowski, now an elderly man, either 90 or 93, he is not sure, who is looking back at his time in the Benzini Brothers Circus during the Great Depression.  His parents have both been killed, he is penniless, and can't face his final exams at Cornell University where he is studying to be a vet.

Jacob finds himself jumping on a train, which happens to belong to the circus, and gets hired on as the vet.  He finds that he loves the circus animals and stays on for their sake and for the sake of having a job at a time when hobos and tent cities are common.  He also finds that he has feelings for the beautiful Marlena, star of the equestrian show, but she is married to the simultaneously charismatic and cruel August.  Jacob lives the circus life, traveling by rail, tearing down and setting up the circus day after day.  He is a misfit trying to fit in among the misfits. 

The book alternates back and forth between modern day Jacob and his life in the nursing home, expounding on how he is treated as less than a full person because he is old and between his life at the carnival, where again people are treated as less than human because there is a depression and money is tight and the show with its animals are more valuable than individual people.

It is obvious that Sara Gruen has done her research without being over the top - the setting feels natural, not forced or like she is giving a history lesson and the photos at the beginning of each chapter are a nice touch.

The characters are well developed.  I found that I really felt for them and that I could understand the pecking order in which they are stuck and the desperation of the depression.  The evolution of August and the unveiling of his cruelty was amazing.  And then there is Jacob, he is forced to grow and figure out what kind of person he wants to be, what he is willing to do and what he stands for.  I also felt that Gruen's description of life in a nursing home were eerily real.  Probably the least developed character is Marlena.

The language in the book is incredibly rich, in fact, I stopped to savor several passages before moving on for their tantalizing description.  I loved the back and forth between present day Jacob and young Jacob and felt it was handled well.  In fact, some of the funniest moments are the elderly Jacob in the nursing home.  Here is an example of a fun passage that also has some great description:
"So what's on the menu tonight?" I grumble as I'm steered into the dining room.  "Porridge?  Mushy peas? Pablum?  Oh, let me guess, it's tapioca isn't it?  Is it tapioca? Or are we calling it rice pudding tonight?"
"Oh, Mr. Jankowski, you are a card," the nurse says flatly.  She doesn't need to answer, and she knows it.  This being Friday, we're having the usual nutritious but uninteresting combination of meat loaf, creamed corn, reconstituted mashed potatoes, and gravy that may have been waved over a piece of beef at some point in its life.  And they wonder why I lose weight.
I loved this book - it has an interesting and well developed setting, beautiful language and captivating story and I would highly recommend it to others.

One of the other things that compelled me to read this book is that Sara Gruen started to write is as part of National Novel Writing Month, a challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November.  I love NaNoWriMo and have participated myself twice and was happy to see that a novelist could participate and write such a successful novel.

17 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVED this book, I didn't want it to end. It seems to take a long time for her to pen and release a novel, but when she does, WOW!

    Thanks,
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of my favorite books last year. Glad you've reviewed it here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first book that I've read by her, but I'll definitely look for more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I really loved it. I hear the movie is good too. Haven't seen it yet as I wanted to finish the book first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listened to this book on audio. There were two different voices for the "old" and the "young." It was very good. I loved the story. However, I missed the pictures, I guess, so I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i loved this book too. whoa, interesting tidbit about sarah and NaNoWriMo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, apparently lots of her books start of as Nanowrimo novels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow,a nice detailed and knowledgeable review that had me thinking! I had read only one chapter of this book, then had to return it and never retrieved it, but now I am having second thoughts. I, too, felt the descriptive writing was pure quality. I enjoy your blog here very much and am now a follower.
    Thanks for the reminder to pick it up again!
    Rae

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the thoughtful comment. Glad you like my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book as well. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for you review, it was really great. This book in coming up on my TBR. I'm pretty excited to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My friend read and reviewed it (http://wp.me/pP183-1Y8) and pretty much has been hounding me to read it. After reading yours and a couple of more great reviews, I think I will pick it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love this book!! I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it as well. Thanks for sharing your great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this book as well! I have never seen that version of the cover before. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone for your comments, it was fun to write the review because I enjoyed the book so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You might like this unbelievable novel. There wasn't a funny line in it. It was filled with more drama than I cared to read about. Between the killings of both humans and animals in bizarre and pathetic ways, the mistreatment of circus help and performers, and just the every day life of living a circus way of life was just morbid.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think this was one of my all-time favorite books. I can't wait to see the movie when it's released, and I can't wait to see more from such a talented author.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.