Monday 1 April 2013

NaPoWriMo: Day 1

I've just found out that April is National Poetry Writing Month and have decided at the spur of the moment to sign up. Actually, I've just been thinking that I wanted to write some poetry so this is synchronicity in action.
There are lots of different events for the month, but I've chosen to join NaPoWriMo, which you can find by clicking this link here. There is a new prompt every day (which you may or may not use) and you can link up your blog, if you like.
I am determined to post every day, even if I don't like the poem I wrote. Just like NaNoWriMo, I realize I have to write some bad stuff to get to the good.
Today's prompt is to use the first line of another poem as your first line. I chose one provided: "Slowly, silently, now the moon." Something about the moon appealed to me today.
So, here goes the first one. I would love to hear from other people doing this, so feel free to link up your blog in the comments.

Poem, April 1/13

Slowly, silently, now the moon
Masks the world in luminescent dimness,
Reflecting its own silvery light
From borrowed rays.
Colours drained and features shrouded
In one, indistinct shadow.

Even the moon waxes and wanes,
Holding itself back,
Veiling ugliness, blemishes, inadequacies
No one could like.

Night is a time to pretend, hide, insulate, disguise
What is.
Shade the truth of what is behind the shadow,
The ugliness camouflaged under the sun
By the niceties of life,
   "I'm fine, and you?"

But fine is not okay,
Only another mask.

Better to howl at the moon.

4 comments:

  1. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo! I love it.. I adore your poetry and where it takes me as I watch your words evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coreena, I loved reading this yesterday and today. It's very striking, the last two lines give me chills. I'm looking forward to reading your poems this month, such a treat for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelsey. Still have to write today's... Am percolating.

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.