Thursday 18 April 2013

Napowrimo Day 18 Poem: If


Prompt: Begin and end the poem with the same word.

April 18/13


If

If I could look through my child's eyes,
The world would be an adventure,
Stowing treasures carefully in a suitcase,
Instead of throwing in the necessities.

Curiosity and wonder fill their days.
Rain is to be danced in,
Mushrooms hide fairies,
Dust is collected to make a Mr. Dusty,
Rather than being one more chore.

Playing is their job,
Nothing is more important.
Having fun, being fair, making new friends,
Are all in a day's work.
Tempers flair and tears are shed,
But resentments are aired, not harboured.

My children steward me,
Reminding me to laugh,
To make light of serious situations,
To hide under the covers if something is scary,
To wear PJs all weekend,
And to break out into song when the mood strikes.

Hugs can cure ills
And kisses hold magic,
Being close is comforting.
Art deserves to be displayed,
And the possibilities are endless.

All I have to do is to be open
To the wonder of
If.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the late child-poet-peacemaker Mattie Stepanek. In his short life, he became a famous poet and wrote about these same kinds of things. I was honored to meet him and hear him read his poems.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.