Wednesday 17 April 2013

Writing Wednesday: Thinking of Self Publishing

I feel like the end might be in sight for finishing my Antigone: The True Story manuscript. Soon, I will have some decisions to make - primarily, whether to start sending out query letters or to self publish.

I always thought I'd go the traditional route and send out queries. Self publishing sounded like too much risk, work and expense. But, obviously, things are changing.  A lot of great articles about self publishing have come across my path lately and they have started me thinking. This one, in particular, was good: Hugh Howey: Self Publishing is Good - And Great for Writers. A lot of what he says makes sense. I know that I've certainly softened my views on self publishing. That and there are some great self published books out there.

Of course there is the fear and overwhelm about being on the hook for everything - cover design, editing, proof reading, formatting, marketing. However, there is also a certain excitement with this as well.

I know how important good editing, copy and book design are and I don't have a lot of experience in these things, nor do I have a lot of money to spend on them (though I firmly believe in paying people for their work, but bartering is good too).

Has anyone out there self published? Do you have resources or stories to share? Ideas? Advice? I would love to hear from you so please comment or link up your blog/website.

2 comments:

  1. If you're thinking of self-publishing, you should check out Susan Quinn's and The Indelibles blogs, which have a lot of resources on self-publishing.

    Working full-time with a family, I don't have the time to put on all the business hats that self-publishing requires. Good luck with what you choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the resource, will definitely check it out. I still haven't made my decision, but there does seem to be a lot of work either way.

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.