Tuesday 30 April 2013

Writing Wednesday: Napowrimo is Finished!

So I did it - I wrote a poem a day for the month of April. 30 poems in 30 days. Yeah!!!! Huzzah to everyone who participated in National Poetry Writing Month.

There were many days when I didn't think I would do it, that I hated this challenge or tried to convince myself that just one day off wouldn't hurt. Somehow, though, I didn't succumb and wrote anyway (I think something else possessed me). And once I got started, it wasn't so bad and I always managed to write something. The poetry prompts at Napowrimo sure helped, though there were days when they didn't work for me and I had to come up with my own, or google some.

I must stress that, in my case, I use the term poem lightly. Some of what I wrote is terrible; however, I decided to post them on my blog anyway, maybe in solidarity with all of the other people participating in National Poetry Writing Month, and maybe because I think it's important to show that first drafts are just that, first drafts. I decided to cut myself some slack and be okay with bad and mediocre poems. I was happy to see glimmers of something else, something more substantial in some of them, so soon, after a break, I will return to my poems to see what I can do with them.

One of the other things I really enjoyed about this whole thing was reading other people's work, some of which I loved. It was a bonus to discover so many new blogs and great writers.

Congratulations everyone who wrote poems in April. This was a fun challenge and certainly got me using a different part of my brain.

Now, back to editing....

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing the challenge. That was a HUGE accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.